Beware Spoilers Ahead!

My reviews do contain spoilers about the main stories but I do attempt to keep them at a minimum. I will not reveal any major plot points or twists unless stated at the beginning of a review.

Monday 27 April 2015

In The Local Pocket #2 - Fly The Colour Fantastica

Fly The Colour Fantastica

This year at Supa Nova as I wandered through the artist alley, looking at local comics, art and sketches, a book caught my eye. This book was so beautiful I went straight over to the stall and had already decided I wanted to buy whatever they were selling. Fortunately for me the lovely ladies at the stall were selling a comic anthology called Fly The Colour Fantastica which ended up being one of my favourite purchase at Supa Nova this year.
Just gorgeous
A comic anthology is a collection of short comics usually with a similar theme running through each comic, in the case of Colour Fantastica all the comics were written and illustrated by 12 Australian, female artists. Some of the stories are happy, some sad, some mysterious but all of them touching and beautiful. I could tell you about all the comics in the book but it is more fun if you buy it and discover them for yourself so I will tell you that my favourite is Chapter 1: Serendipity, which is about a boy who meets a mermaid.

Serendipity by Natasha Sim
I'm always cautious about writing my interpretation of wordless comics because I want you to read them and interpret them yourself but I will say that with most of the comics having little to no dialogue you really feel the stories. Some of the stories may take you back to your childhood, some will bring you to the present day and others will take you to how you hope the future will be but all of them will make you think and all of them will make you feel.
Every single comic in Colour Fantastica has amazing art, I was not disappointed in any of the art styles and they complimented each other beautifully. You can see many of the styles have a Japanese influence and as the name suggests all the comics have a fabulous use of colour.

I could write for pages and pages all the great things about Colour Fantastica but the main thing is that I love it and I want everyone else to love it too. I would recommend Colour Fantastica to first time comic readers, long term comic readers, art fans and anybody that loves colour.

I give Fly The Colour Fantastica 4.5 out of 5 big yellow monsters.


Get your copy of Fly The Colour Fantastica here.

You can find out more about the artists here.

11 of the 12 creators
It is always a thrill to go to conventions and actually meet the creators of local comics and at this year's Supa Nova I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Alisha Jade the writer of Freedom.
Alisha isn't in the picture above with the other creators so she gets her own picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment